Re: [microsound] etc.

on 5/13/04 9:24 AM, chmafu nocords at chmafu@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If working hard on
> stage had anything to do with good music, most pop stars would make
> incredibly great music! They really work and dance their asses off.
> If I want to see people work hard I rather watch a football
> game......... :-))

excellent post!

some quick..... thoughts but not so quick ;-)

....they want sweat let's give them Music.

I prefer ears that listen than fingers that play non-good music.
I love whatever does good music. A musician first of all
is someone that listens and then has some skills on an instrument...
if this in not the case his/her skills doesn't save him/her.
Good-music from what I know up to now hasn't to do with "shows".
A virtuoso doesn't save a music that is rubbish,
and rubbish music cannot save a musician that
does pyrotechnics on stage. Nonetheless, a musician worth the name
loves the music that is playing and enjoys it even if it is challenging
to play.

I'm not against virtuso playing in fact I love good players in which their
spirit is fleshed on an instrument.... if that is the case I'm
in....otherwise no thank you!! I have something else to do!

> I think it is not only silly but actually very dangerous to judge the
> value of music (or man) by how much work was done (especially if you
> exclude things like preparation and thinking ).

(the protestant ethics lead the world right now....that's why the world
stinks...please no offense, it is a fact and we all hopefully see that!!)
(some people just not use their brains...)

.....far enough with the sad passions!

As for the live electronics matter, I don't care what someone is using...if
s/he uses one-two-three laptops if he uses max/msp or supercollider
or whatever....I came to listen, so this is my first concern. If it is good
enough then maybe I'm going to ask... but how?

> The people of the 21st century must finally understand that we must get
> rid of all these old ideas of hard working men and all that bullshit. It
> is time to make our machines work for us so we have time to think and
> invent.
> Man is supposed to be a genius, not a worker!

The most classical instrumentalists have been in this kind of trap....
I know from first hand!!

Best regards
Thanos