Re: [microsound] an age of immaterial reproduction

hi

On 3/10/06, cyborgk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <cyborgk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, making money may not be a "good reason" for creating music - but is
> this an AESTHETIC question, or an ETHICAL one?

what is the difference?
are aesthetics without ethics?
are ethics without aesthetics?
can there be ethical aesthetics? aesthetical ethics?

[fox in sox on knox in box ...]

> A person might be making
> music for money, making music for personal expression, making music for
> people to dance and party to, or making music to express some political
> value. What criteria does one use, to decide which is better?

well, you have set out the creator's inspiration as a criteria. you
could also have the criteria of which has the best thumping bass. or
which is made by people with the most famous names. or which was made
the most recently.

and maybe i'm just a utopian [alien hippie]- but why do we need to
think one kind of music is 'better' than another? i will say that i
*like* some music better than others; some music is made with more
attention to detail than others; some music is made with technology
that's more interesting to me; and so on.

to me, the music i like is the music that is better. but i don't think
that it's better in the same way that running linux is better than
running windows [to use a loaded example].

--
\js  [ http://or8.net/~johns/ ]