Re: [microsound] law and order at last.fm

hola

On 1/30/08, reSet Sakrecoer <sakrecoer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm just sensing that they are trying to inverse the industry, but on our
> level: the indpendent level. Making us pay for distribution, where the music
> should pay the artist AND the distributor.... not only the
> distributor.(hobby or not it is ALOT of time and energy we spend right?) And
> it is important that we stay aware of the undefinable value of our art!

a very insightful analysis.

of course, turning music into money is not an exact algebra.
['undefinable value of our art'] and i don't know how much money there
is in the last.fm pie. i think there is money in the myspace pie, but
this is in many ways because it is a date service as well as a music
service [still, music viewers bring eyeballs to the site].

what would be better?

some kinda microcurrency? [0.01 cent per click]
non monetary value? [free downloads every N clicks]
profit sharing per download [$.20 per song downloaded]

something else?

i think it is a good use of some of our valuable time to think about a
better way to organize this kinda thing. the old music industry is
dieing- but it's fighting all the way down. what does the new music
industry look like?

as political activists i know say, 'another world is possible!'

--
\js  [ http://or8.net/~johns/ ]