Re: [microsound] nin

> I suspect that Mr. Reznor might be building a fan database. These email addresses
> he's collecting could be very useful for sending offers of hard-copy CD's for sale,
> concert tickets, T-shirts, and the like.

I can confirm this. I registered my email when I downloaded the
previous album (Ghosts I-IV) and I received one email from them
offering concert tickets. In any case, in all this time I received
that single promotional email, so it's not like my inbox started to
get flooded with junk.

> Although I'd guess that's perhaps secondary to the more obvious motivations mentioned
> here already, such as the normal human urge to show off and have your music heard by
> others, and to maintain total creative control over it, coupled with the fact that major label
> artists are already accustomed to seeing little to no profit from CD sales in the first place
> anyway.

I eventually bought Ghosts I-IV (and will eventually buy this new one)
and it must be said that the price was $10 for the plain vanilla
version. Can't beat that for a double CD. Of course, not having middle
men and getting 100% of the price tag minus operating costs is what
makes it possible.

//p
http://www.interdisciplina.org/00.0/