Re: [microsound] website to modular environment and back (tech)

definately the first option.
i'd like to have users input some words for example, which would alter the composition of the programs.
i've been looking into your links and i think i prefer using flash over the processing + osc solution.

cheers

isjtar

Op 11-okt-05 om 14:53 heeft derek holzer het volgende geschreven:

Hello Isjtar,

Isjtar wrote:

> how can I implement OSC in a website? or is it really necessary for the
> other person to have max - In that case I'll have to learn flash then.
> is it hard?
> can latency be reduced to say about 20ms either in osc or flash?

I think there are two options here and there might be some confusion as to which one you mean.

One is a PDradio-like solution, where users can influence your modular environment on a remote server from a web browser. The server then creates audio data and streams it to the client browser. The "latency" in this case is dependent on bandwidth, the internet, solar flares, the mood of your ISP and all kinds of other things beyond your control. But as long as the user has a (Flash/Java/etc) plugin in their browser to send messages to your server, and they have a media player to listen to the output, it's solid. Or as solid as your server is, at least...

The other is a Flash-like solution, where all the DSP is done locally in the web browser by a plugin (Flash, Java, Shockwave, etc). Alternately, you could have the web browser communicate with another application locally on the computer (i.e. sending data from the browser to a PD/Max/MSP/etc patch on the same machine). This would require the client/user to have your modular environment running on their machine, and also to have their machine configured in such a way that the browser could communicate with the modular environment. There are plenty of firewalls and other apps (not to mention cross-platform issues) that could easily get in the way of this, so it's not the best idea if you want users to download your work and use it "plug-and-pray" style (why not just use the interface of the modular enviroment in this case?). But in this case, the latency would then depend on the soundcard, as OSC itself is fairly instantaneous. I think it's quite rare for your average PCI soundcard to have 20ms latency, however!

If you wanted lots of users from all over to influence your modular environment, I'd go for the first option. Processing is a Java-based language that is very easy to use and can be run with the Java plugins that are already in most browsers. It can communicate via OSC with a remote server or an OSC application on the same computer (such as PD, SuperCollider3, Max/MSP, Reaktor...). I'd check this out.

http://processing.org/

I've seen lots of interesting work done with Processing, OSC and SuperCollider3 lately, for example work by IXI-Software (check the "code" section of their "backyard"):

http://www.ixi-software.net/

But mostly done with system which were set up to do just that (all applications installed and configured properly). I'm not sure how successful it would be for someone just to download it and expect it to work out of the box on any computer.

good luck,
d.

-- derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ---Oblique Strategy # 91: "Infinitesimal gradations"