Re: [microsound] funny post on Linux audio

hola

i said:
> > hmm, not so sure about this one. first, where is it?

paulo again:
> IBM. Mozilla. Apache. OSDL. usw.

mozilla and apache are not multimillion dollar companies- they are non
profits [or 'foundations'].
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/about/
http://www.apache.org/foundation/

and Open Source Development Labs has become the linux foundation-
another non-profit:
http://www.linux.com/feature/114217
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/About

so that's 1/4. i thought ibm [and redhat, also google] but i think
those corporation just got a clue and saw that linux was going to be
better for them [technically and financially], but i don't think they
were the instigators of growth. well, ibm's support helped sway many,
but i would say the tide was already turning.

i will conceed this is a debatable point [whether ibm's embrace of
linux was a 'tipping point']

> Honestly, I am fairly computer-savvy

i know- you run the microsound wiki and project wiki! [and thx again
for sharing your resources with the community]

> However,
> time is a rare and precious commodity, and I normally just want to do
> real stuff rather than fixing issues that shouldn't be there.

well, since there is no army of paid engineers working on hardware
compatibility, it's up to users like you and me. if you don't want to
do this work, no one's going to force you. but, as frank pointed out,
some of the blame goes to hardware manufacturers who don't follow
standards.

i too have felt like i didn't want to spend time doing driver
configuration and would rather do music. but that passed. and now i am
more patient [and careful with my hardware purchases].

--
\js  [ http://or8.net/~johns/ ]